Wednesday, August 02, 2006

First Moments of Culture in Mexico

So, the culture in Mexico, specifically Tepic, is not shocking and intense. Nevertheless, I am obviously not in Kirkland any more. Cars dont care about pedestrians, you cant use the water from the tap even to brush your teeth (oops, i did that last night without thinking twice, but i´m still alive), everything on this website is in Spanish, you cant flush toilet paper down, dogs and other random animals stroll across the street and no one brakes for them, the houses have an entirely different standard of comfort as far as cleanliness and decor go, I could go on. The little things are fun to notice. For example, we had our first visit to a Mexican Super Walmart today. Honestly, there was an entire aisle dedicated to cooking oils, beans, and rice. I have never seen so much oil! The ketchup is even called catsup, which I laughed at because I always make fun of my mom for saying catsup.

My biggest personal issue so far is that we eat breakfast around 7:30 or 8:30am and then there is not lunch until almost 2pm. Siesta is from 2-4pm, and lunch is a huge meal, then people work for a few more hours and have a light dinner around 7:30 or 8:30 at night. I like to eat every few hours, so lets just say I will be snacking.

I love that life is a little less rushed. I can just tell that it is without having been here for long. I dont think you can live some where so humid and hot and not move a little more slowly. I like it! But right now I am rushed because my hour is almost up at the internet cafe, so adios!

3 comments:

julz said...

hola mexico! wow, i'm so jealous-i long for siestas so much...enjoy! I think the culture down there really has it down-essential down time each day. If only it were like that up here. I can't wait to see pictures, so utilize that camera amiga! I was praying for you today during lunch, and i'm so glad to hear from you. I was about to hunt down your mom and find out if you were stranded somewhere between here and mexico. anyways, thanks for the update. Te amo, j.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You made it! I am so glad you have a blog. I hope you keep it updated so everyone can read about your trip. Thanks for sending out the email. I'll be visiting your blog often. Have a blessed time:)

Ginger said...

Hey dear friend! Congrats on your first couple of days and experiences in Mexico. It' so interesting anytime you go somewhere that has drastically different standards of living and social rules. I remember well my experiences in China and the lack of running water, the plethora of "squatty-potty's", and the seemingly apparent disregard for traffic rules. Yet, the richness it has added to my life was so worth it. Thanks for starting this blog and I look forward to hearing more about your wonderful adventure! Vaya con Dios, my friend! (and yes, that is one of the few phrases that I actually somewhat remember from High School Spanish! hehehe)


Blog Archive