Monday, August 07, 2006

Dulcy Swears at the Pastor and His Wife & Las Palabras Yo Aprendo (the words I learn)

Here are a few words I have learned or incorporated into my vocabulary while down here...

el tramposo: cheater
la linea: line
jestosa: funny
poner: to put
escalar: to climb
poder: can
los globos: balloons
la pirata: pirate
la pulpa: octopus
la lavanderia: laundry mat
la ferreteria: hardware/tool store
fiel: faithful
hay: there is
proxima: next
jale: push
cerca: close
el mono/chongo: monkey

Also, I learned another word worth mentioning but not saying. We went to the taqueria (taco restaurant) last night. I was sitting by Pastor Tony; his wife, Azucena; their daughter, Andrea; and a friend from the Puyallup team, Scott. I heard Scott say a word that I had heard before, but of which I did not know the meaning and so I repeated what he said quite loudly across the table. Everyone gasped and laughed and yelled and told me to not say that. Apparently I had misheard and therefore spoken my first swear word in Spanish cause I actually dont really know any (i see no point in learning words yet that will get in the way of the limited room I have in my brain right now for words that I will actually use). Scott had been trying to say rabbit, el conejo, and, for those of you who do know Spanish swear words, I heard another word. Lesson learned: eavesdropping is rude and dangerous & repeating what you hear is not always beneficial. But the look on their faces was priceless cause I had zero idea what I had uttered in the presence of the pastor, his wife, a toddler, and a table full of missions team members.

No comments:


Blog Archive