Some random things I notice as the world in Tepic goes by...
1. Many Mexicans must really think that their music is the best and that they want to share their amazing music with everyone else because not only do many of them have ¨bumpin´¨sound systems, but they often have large speakers outside of their car, projecting their fine tunes for all to hear. Picture hearing Mexican music blaring from huge speakers while walking down the street...aye, funny.
2. The showers are not on their own...the same floor where the toilet leaks onto is the shower floor, they are one in the same. Let´s just say I wear flip flops in the shower and that I really like the comfort of a pretty little white porcelain and tiled shower all on it´s own.
3. My mattress is a foam pad. Not necessarily terribly uncomfortable, but not the most comfortable either. A foam pad with a sheet on it. Simple, not fancy, but, hey, when I hit the foam, I sleep until my cell phone alarm beeps obnoxiously in my ear. And, by the way, Ashley, I am on the top bunk. At least I have a bed frame...the other girls sleep with their mattresses directly on the floor, no box springs, no frame.
4. So, you´d think that the shower situation and the non-luxurious mattresses would not be the coolest, but another thing about Mexico for my experience is that people do NOT complain. I love it. I am by nature a sarcastic little whiner sometimes, but these people...I have not heard a single complaint. I am waiting for it, but have yet to hear it. When they are tired they say so and then they are done. When they are hungry, they say so and then they are done. No incessant complaining. Quite impressive. They do not dwell on the small unfortunate moments of life. I hope to learn well from them and model their behavior in this respect.
5. Language barriers are no problemo...love speaks one language...love. When we went to the Huichol Indian villages today, we found out that the people understand Spanish, but typically do not speak it or want to. They have their own language and so, not only did we not speak their language, but we have been raised in a culture and even a world entirely different from theirs. Us providing them with gifts, prayer, and love spoke more than our words really ever could. This was evident by their smiles and grateful gestures.
Also, my roommate, Kenia, had a cousin die last night. He was 19 and lives in a bad part of town ( i dont know which town) and he was beaten with poles probably by gang members or something. I think that she was able to be at the hospital with family, but all I knew when I got out of the shower this morning was that she had been to the hospital because of a cousin. As I walked out of the bathroom, wearing only a towel, I saw Kenia and asked about how her cousin was. She rapidly attempted to explain in Spanish and all I caught was something about ¨muerte,¨dead. I said, ¨No entiendo.¨I dont understand. She cried and all I knew to do was give her a strong hug, though I was only in my towel. What else do you need when someone dies, but a hug and a shoulder to cry on? The langauge barrier was no importa.
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(46)
-
▼
August
(31)
- One More Time from Mexico: August 18-28
- ALL THAT I NEED and RAIN AND MY ATTITUDE
- La Playa Bonita (the beautiful beach)
- Pictures of Some of My Favorite People
- Muchos Besos y No Me Gusta Limpiar Los Banos (Many...
- Worship in Mexico
- Las Palabras de La Gente y El Lugar (the words of ...
- August 11-August 17, A Brief Daily Summary
- Encouragement in Speaking Spanish and On Being a T...
- Masterpiece in Progress
- On Lightning, the Lord, and Randomness
- No Mas Pictures Hoy
- Fotos de San Blas Playa y la Barca de la Jungla
- La Gente Bonita (the beautiful people)
- Fotos, Fotos, Fotos (do i really have to translate?)
- Mas Fotos en Mexico (more photos in mexico)
- Fotos de la Vida Mexicano de Dulce (photos of the ...
- As Promised: Cortez and the Mexican People...Accor...
- Inspiration for All Who Are Thirsty
- A Hopefully Informative and Possibly Unneccessaril...
- Que Divertido! Muchas Palabras en Espanol
- Another Goodbye...Adios Puyallup Amigos...Dios le ...
- I Am A Little Pacific Northwest City Girl
- No title
- One Who is Called Alongside
- Dulcy Swears at the Pastor and His Wife & Las Pala...
- Mas Cultura en Tepic (more culture in tepic)
- Dulcy´s Painted Deserts as a Stranger in a Strange...
- El Dia Seis en Mexico
- On Culture in Mexico #2...los zapatos de ramon y e...
- First Moments of Culture in Mexico
-
▼
August
(31)
2 comments:
After that shower & bathroom experience you have there, hopefully my apartment doesn't seem so dirty anymore to you!
dulc, i see it through your eyes. I can envision the shower, i can hear the tejano music (or the authentic spanish music) and you're right-love is a universal language.
Post a Comment