The other night I was reading in John 14 where Jesus promises the Holy Spirit to the disciples. As I read, I took interest in the study note in the margin and checked it out. The verses referenced include 14-17 and 26-27:
If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth...But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
The study note says:
Counselor:
Means one who is called alongside. It conveys the idea of an encourager in the sense of a legal counsel. Just as Jesus had encouraged and assisted his disciples, he assured them the Holy Spirit would be there for them as well.
This is mostly for my fellow compadres in grad school who are called to counsel. I think that it is powerful to relate our responsibility and role as future or current counselors to the role of counselor that the Holy Spirit has. We will offer encouragement, peace, comfort, strength, hope, and love as counselors, especially as Christian counselors because we will speak and act with Christs love and the true Counselor, the Holy Spirit will speak and act through us. We are not to be above or below those we, but, rather, to be alongside them. To bear their burdens and teach them how to solve struggles and endure life more easily and with the joy of the Lord. The responsibility is immense, but, with Christs strength and calling, we can do it.
Monday, August 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(46)
-
▼
August
(31)
- One More Time from Mexico: August 18-28
- ALL THAT I NEED and RAIN AND MY ATTITUDE
- La Playa Bonita (the beautiful beach)
- Pictures of Some of My Favorite People
- Muchos Besos y No Me Gusta Limpiar Los Banos (Many...
- Worship in Mexico
- Las Palabras de La Gente y El Lugar (the words of ...
- August 11-August 17, A Brief Daily Summary
- Encouragement in Speaking Spanish and On Being a T...
- Masterpiece in Progress
- On Lightning, the Lord, and Randomness
- No Mas Pictures Hoy
- Fotos de San Blas Playa y la Barca de la Jungla
- La Gente Bonita (the beautiful people)
- Fotos, Fotos, Fotos (do i really have to translate?)
- Mas Fotos en Mexico (more photos in mexico)
- Fotos de la Vida Mexicano de Dulce (photos of the ...
- As Promised: Cortez and the Mexican People...Accor...
- Inspiration for All Who Are Thirsty
- A Hopefully Informative and Possibly Unneccessaril...
- Que Divertido! Muchas Palabras en Espanol
- Another Goodbye...Adios Puyallup Amigos...Dios le ...
- I Am A Little Pacific Northwest City Girl
- No title
- One Who is Called Alongside
- Dulcy Swears at the Pastor and His Wife & Las Pala...
- Mas Cultura en Tepic (more culture in tepic)
- Dulcy´s Painted Deserts as a Stranger in a Strange...
- El Dia Seis en Mexico
- On Culture in Mexico #2...los zapatos de ramon y e...
- First Moments of Culture in Mexico
-
▼
August
(31)
1 comment:
It's been great reading through your entries. It sounds as though you are experiencing a lot. I am happy for you and those you are serving. Keep up the great work;)
Post a Comment