Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fast Fasting

For Lent this year my mom encouraged me to join her in a fast for discipline and to grow closer to Jesus during the season to commemorate His death, burial, and resurrection. She chose to fast some food-related and non-food-related things, but mine were strictly food-related. Of the culprits that I felt were of varying degrees of weakness that I felt would stretch me to cut out are: bread, tortillas, crackers, cereals, rice, sweets/desserts/chocolates/candy/ice cream/frozen yogurt/cookies/etc. I think that's about it. I have fasted sweets for Lent before and for other weeks long stints, but never done it for so long coupled with a lowering of my carb intake. What a change it has made. Wow!

I am loving seeking new ways to eat healthy! Checking out new recipes, cooking creatively, using my willpower and calling on the Holy Spirit to fight off temptation. The first few weeks were no biggie, which was a huge surprise to me since we were on vacation in Florida and eating at theme parks laden with breads and delicious sweets. My cheat there was eating chicken nuggets several times and they are breaded, but I was able to make my own breakfasts, stuff a backpack full of healthier choices for snacks, eat lots of salad and meat, and steer clear of those tasting looking Mickey Mouse ear ice cream bars that tantalized my taste buds drooling at the sight. The next few weeks were tougher because I just wanted carbs, particularly bread with dinner which we don't even eat that much anyways, so who knows.

These last few weeks have been simpler. I realized last night that the thought of ice cream sounds way too sweet and like an overwhelming amount of sugar. However, frozen yogurt with some dark chocolate chunks and frozen fruit like strawberries or blueberries sounds delightful, though not the normal serving size I would eat and probably just several spoonfuls. I could eat bread, but I don't feel a need for it and have enjoyed things like hamburgers and tuna wrapped up in lots of great fresh lettuce rather than a bun or sandwich bread. I wouldn't mind a gooey brownie or the crunch of some flax seed tortilla chips or even a bite or two of cookie dough, but not half the pan of brownies, greasy chips, or an obscene amount of cookie dough. I also am pretty tired of oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, and eggs for breakfast and would enjoy some shredded wheat, grape nuts, or some other healthy type cereal with fruit or honey. And, pizza always sounds so delicious...

The miracle of all things that I feel like has never happened in my life is that I have lost some weight. Have I a single clue how much? No way. I never weigh myself and we don't even own a scale so I'd have to seek it out, but the looks of a somewhat flatter tummy, some clothes fitting better, my confidence being boosted, and having to put extra notches on my belts (one of the true tests) that I have stuck with for a few weeks feels like an awesome confirmation. I am working out pretty hard at the gym too 3-4 days a week with an additional 1-3 days of hiking, biking, walking, resistance training, dancing, abs, or something else active (though this rarely adds up to 7 days a week!). I feel great, but don't want to let my guard down and just start back into slowly re-building carb eating habits. I feel like I will now make the choice to eat less in the carb realm and enjoy legumes, beans (are those the same), meat, nuts, veggies, seeds, whole grains, and fruits all the more.

This stint of fasting has gone much faster than the 6 weeks that loomed before me to start out. For now, I look forward to a fruit laden whole wheat, grainy waffle to go with my side of fruit and eggs on Easter...a reward for all the hard work! Maybe I will get a frozen yogurt that day. Who knows?!

Here's to healthfulness...and fast fasting...and frozen yogurt.

No comments:


Blog Archive