Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Homelessness in Your Backyard

We recently had an opportunity to show up at an emergency shelter for homeless people in Redmond, a mere 5 miles or so from the comfort of our own home in suburbia. Our Bible study was asked several times if we were available for providing meals for the men and women who would be staying at the Old Redmond Schoolhouse. It seemed we were never able to act fast enough and that God blessed those homeless folks with some people who really wanted to bring food because when we would respond to the emails, the dinners were already taken care of. Praise God!

However, we still felt a pull to do something. We were able to do a Target trip and grab some items such as sweatshirts, socks, boxers, underwear, hats, gloves, etc. A friend threw in a Costco box of hand warmers with the bunch of goodies we all shopped for. It was fun spending an hour in the underwear section of Target with two men who love Jesus, determining what quantities we could muster for these people in need and treasure hunting for the best bargain on large-sized men's boxers.

I felt so moved by the Lord. He absolutely speaks more loudly and clearly to me and through me when I am serving Him and His children, especially in more intense situations such as these. God reminded me to be bold, yet gentle when we drove back to deliver the items to the shelter. Those spending the night had just finished up some pizza and salad and were ready to snuggle into their sleeping bags on the hard gym floor with full, warm bellies. We had about an hour to love and get to know stories of those in the room.

Two young guys caught our attention at their exuberance to help us unload the car and their immense and vocal gratitude for God allowing us the abundance to bless them with some warm cottony garments. Our conversation with them told us their journey to homelessness. The one we spent more time talking with had been a bit of a misfit as a high schooler, but nothing too terribly out of the ordinary, and had started dabbling in pain killers and then hit bottom at a one time bout with heroine. We found that they were believers and interested in attending church. They were both quite positive and optimistic about their brief time being homeless. They were sure that they wouldn't be lifers on the streets and could find some employment in a short amount of time, save up money, and be in an apartment soon enough again. Their own families were no longer willing to house them because of their drug use and mistrust in the situation.

I realize it is very difficult for me to disconnect from the counselor/client role and see people in need as God's children. Well, I can get there, but what takes me a step further is letting go of the fact that I don't want to feel the burden. I want to know that I can forget them at the end of the day, turn them off in my brain, set a boundary, compartmentalize, and then clock in come morning and set about my business thinking of how to fix and problem solve for them in the few moments I have delegated. However, this isn't how God works on your heart. I can usually compartmentalize with my clients, except when I am not taking good care of myself and they seep in, or occasionally when a case takes hold of me and I'm thinking about it lying in bed at night, but these young homeless men wouldn't leave my mind. I seriously could not stop thinking in a my-mind-is-racing sort of way about them until two days later. God kept talking to me. Asking of me. Maybe it was too late. Maybe all He wanted was obedience and tenderness and willingness. Maybe He has a plan for us all to run into each other later even though we never saw them at church on Sunday. Maybe. We don't know. And perhaps we won't until we see them in heaven.

There are so many words, thoughts, and feelings I have for this experience which I am deeply glad we took advantage of--for my sake, for my husband's safe, for our friend's sake, for the guys' sake, and for Jesus. I think the work God is doing in my heart is worth it all and I will be continuing to let it move me within the corners of my heart and hoping that He will keep changing me and speaking to me about the plans and the desires He has for me. Those few hours spent shopping and talking were only the tip of the iceberg of the time He had in mind for me to invest of transforming my heart.

Now I am hoping and praying that as the weather worsens, snow falls, and temperatures settle around the freezing mark, that some other shelter has opened up, that these young men have found a place to call home or to at least stay warm and dry until bitter winter winds cease. Dear Jesus, thank You from the bottom of my heart for the little and bit things You have been so generous to bless me with, though I am undeserving. Please, Lord, take care of our friends who so desperately need Your hope, peace, and strength right now. Keep them safe and on Your path. I pray we would trust that You will care for them. I pray that we would be willing to do what You ask when You ask. You are our Faithful Provider. Unconditionally. Let us not forget that or take You for granted and the blessings in our lives. They can be removed so quickly and easily. We are grateful that You can be so much to us and those we know and pray we can continue to spread Your goodness.

No comments: