After a chilly, muddy, rainy day on Habitat for Humanity's Issaquah Highlands construction site many thoughts cross my mind: Phew, that was a lot of work. Wow, siding panels are heavy. Why do paint colors have such funny and strange names? How do construction workers' bodies support such labor day in and out and still have energy for family, recreation, and hobby? Anyone can learn to swing a hammer or work a nail gun. Don't be large-bodied and believe you can do that work simply...think squeezing into small spaces, balancing on narrow boards of scaffolding, and narrow passageways between stacks of lumber.
Of deepest and most meaningful deduction is surely one thought regarding serving: we must serve with a Purpose. I viewed my fellow laborers yesterday--some paid for their construction expertise and direction, some Americorps who will be paid through educational credits by American tax dollars, future residents getting in their 500 hours of construction to earn their home and pay just cost and not labor for it, new volunteers, and seasoned helpers. We were all there to help, serve, swing hammers, splash some paint on some wood, collaborate, and experience a little dose of altruism at feeling good to bless others in need who have more than us.
We were not all there to worship Jesus by being His hands and feet through our actions. We tried, we searched, we peeked in on peoples' lives as we chatted all day long, and we came up with a few Christ followers. Most were there with large, generous, awesome hearts and want to work for the greater good to better the world, hoorah. Kudos to those people because, sadly, that is a lot more than many Christians can boast. But, I digress, I felt so empowered knowing Who I was working for and that I wasn't just a volunteering junkie. I was serving Christ and His sweet children who need the most basic things in life, one of which is shelter.
I truly say this by no means to boast or toot my little horn or pat my back for my works. Please. I feel rather humbled and moved that God allows me a body that is achy and old and a little pudgy in spots but can labor to love others, that He has motivated people with such phenomenal ideas as programs like Habitat for Humanity, that He helps people love each other through their actions, that He has provided me so much in my 26+ years to feel overwhelmed at the thought, and so much more. He is good. He is our Provider and most definitely I am a new fan of Habitat for Humanity and the wonderful work they do. I pray that many more people can work in such a manner to love people by providing them affordable shelter through the heart that Christ has for His children. Also, I see that the wood, nails, paint, and concrete that create a house are merely things and that what will be far more beautiful are the relationships and joy and life experienced within the walls as they are built and once they are complete.
No comments:
Post a Comment