Today I am thinking about how I am grateful that no matter the predicament I face that the Lord is my Director and Wisdom-giver and, most importantly, my Counselor. He faithfully speaks to my heart--whether I choose to listen to or follow after His words is another story--and walks beside me as I discover what path He desires for me to venture onto. I love that aspect of the character of my Jesus. I need not worry how to deal with fresh and uncharted situations--though I may choose to worry anyways, an unwise decision!--but rather can spend time conversing with the Lord and being still before Him to know in a moment what He desires for me.
The latest "issue" to tackle--the tongue. Oh that wretched, mind-of-its-own, opinionated, rude, and presumptuous tongue. It is the most difficult part of my body to control, although I recognize that love handles may actually trump. It is naughty and speaks falsehoods, shares secret information, and cuts down those I love in the most filthy and unloving ways. The failures of the tongue can ruin ones life. Just read the dramatic, yet ironically truthful words in James 3:5-10 about how the tongue has the power and versatility to bring death or worship...
"The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be." James 3:5-10
My pastor wrote a blog on gentleness and said in the text: "...one of the best aspects of being gentle is that you never have to apologize." Oh and how my sneaky tongue causes the need for unacceptable amounts of apologies that get made or not on some occasions. So much more trouble than it's worth. But, my tongue has a great deal of power as well to encourage, love, gently keep others accountable, and bring joy. I love the privilege we have to be gentle as through the fruits of the Holy Spirit. It's such a wonderful and beautiful thing.
"Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Corinthians 13:11
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing...And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone." 1 Thessalonians 5:11, 14
Jesus, I pray that You would keep speaking to me about how to praise and love gently through the words of my mouth. Please, Lord, continue to help me be mindful as I speak before I utter unkind, discouraging, or hurtful words. You have called me to focus on this right now and I pray that I would learn and retain these lessons to apply them forward. Amen.
In a moment of irony, I realize that my husband's favorite food is tongue...I shall ponder this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment