Monday, January 09, 2012

Things of frightening proportions yet also actually completely normal heights occurred last night in our kitchen.

After a loooong walk with the sis in the warmish winter air, we returned for some much needed popcorn popped in our new machine gifted from Momma for Christmas and a relaxing game or viewing of House.

We were all cheerfully conversating in the kitchen while emptying the dishwasher and prepping for popcorn tasties. Joy and pleasantries abounded.

As I chatted away, my hands busied themselves pouring the dishwasher rinse aid into its little compartment and watching the meter raise to 'full'. Being the helpful soul I am, I wanted to ensure that our dishes could get their best sparkle and it was on empty.

The rinse aid just didn't seem to come out of the bottle and into the dispenser as fast as normal so I tipped it up and tried again.

Something is wrong. Hmm.

What could it be? 

Ack! Oh, no! Help!

The tragedy of the situation unfolded and I realized so quickly that I had filled the compartment with dishsoap that is NOT even supposed to go in the dishwasher. 

Wahhh! Sob, sob!

I was so proud of my composure as we searched online what to do. Answers of course surfaced rapidly as they have a tendency to do on the internet and we proceeded to do surgery.

We sucked as much soap out as we could while pouring water in over and over again.

Then, we ran the dishwasher to attempt to let some of the soap out. It was awesome. Ain't gonna lie.

We were sure our problem (my problem, but I don't like to blame) had been alleviated when my husband sucked in a huge breath of air and gasped in shock with eyes locked on the running dishwasher.

Big puffy white soap bubbles were heaping out of the bottom of the dishwasher onto our pine-colored wood floors.

In panic, the 'cancel' button was smacked and we started to shovel out the massive thick soap foam that was over the bottom rack of dishes with a pot and scooping it out of the base with a plastic cup. 

Sigh. Long story short it was a mess. But...it was funny. Really, it was. It reminded me of the old version of Freaky Friday with Jodie Foster when the washing machine start overflowing with too much soap up to their waists and they couldn't stop it! This wasn't as desperate, but it was a little ridiculous and each time I load a dish or glass into the machine since last night, I am greeted with a few suds that linger on the bottom even though we ran the rinse cycle four times now.

'Never a dull moment', Alejandro mused repeatedly. To which I thought with mingled irritation and pride, 'I am so accident prone! Classic.'
(We discussed taking pictures because it was so ridiculous, but didn't have the heart to run for the camera when there was so much soap to scoop, but this picture well illustrates my mishap.)

 Then we ate some popcorn and watched Portlandia (so terribly terrible and my brain cells have decreased in number) and The Wonder Years (just tell Winnie you like her already, Kevin!) and yet another fiasco-filled evening was complete in the land of me.

No comments:


Blog Archive