Vote 'YES' or....Vote 'NO'
I changed my mind a few times on some initiatives as I sat in the kitchen yesterday morning over a bowl of cereal and the voters' pamphlets, determined to be a voter this year. Alas, my ballot will be piled into the shredder once again. High school history class assignments brought the requirement of fulfilling campaign hours two separate years. I loathed those projects and involvement in a subject in which I am disinterested: politics. But, if there's anything that stuck, I learned wholeheartedly that my vote counts. It may just be one vote, but it can tip the scales. Therefore, getting that ballot popped into the mail by election day is honestly important to me. I understand that responsibility and privilege as a citizen and tax payer. However, the breakfast time voting rush brought me into the situation of a discussion with my husband--not a citizen or able to be a registered voter currently--on voting. Our conversation included me tooting my horn about the importance of every vote and how I value and encourage this action, but that, each time the opportunity comes around, I am left like a bunny in a beam of a flashlight, struck without knowing what way to turn. I am not interested in politics and, therefore, lack depth and support in my decisions. As I read the poorly written arguments for each initiative or candidate, I am easily swayed back and forth, actually scribbling out my blacked out bubble from yes to no or vice versa. Clearly, I haven't got a clue on these issues. My husband and I talked and I realized with disappointment in myself yet again, that, yes, my vote does count--even in the negative. If I make a poor choice in voting or an uneducated decision, flippantly filling in a 'yes' or 'no' then I am pushing for results that are not as I might actually decide in a more definite manner if I were researched on the decision. Sigh. This one gets me every time. I know, I should have just mailed 'er off, even with only a vote or two just so I can ensure my vote counted for keeping alcohol out of convenient and grocery stores. Any thoughts on the situation?
2 comments:
i always have this dilemma also, dulce. its just annoying cause i also dont feel educated on the political topics/politicians to make an informed vote. i am sure mr therrell would be pissed, but i haven't voted in a few years. in fact, im not even registered to vote here. i guess washington gave up on me cause i haven't received an absentee ballot from them, either. but that is an interesting point that our votes can be a negative influence. ive never thought about it that way. i just wonder how many truly informed voters are out there. i can only think of a handful of friends who care to take the time to engage in politically educating themselves...
on alcohol in grocery stores, i vote yes! liquor stores are inconvenient and i feel like an alcoholic every time i go in to them. plus, what if you want to make a late night marg and the store is closed? travesty ;-)
You would be one of so few people who felt that way. It provides more access and easier access to underage drinkers and further perpetuates that unlawful issue. I am sure you recall those days when you paid a 21+ friend to snag you a little tequila, but imagine if there were hundreds more stores to choose from. Not pretty. I appreciated Big Sister's words thrown from a recovering alcoholic's mouth to her. His feeling was that he defiantly and adamantly opposed legalizing liquor in more places because he didn't want to have any more excuses to be tempted to purchase alcohol or additional locations to find himself at. Bravo! I know you would have understand if you'd heard the scores of debates--just in the office alone--about this. All were in favor--Democrat and Republican alike, old, young, grandma, mom, single, married, religious, spiritual, atheist, etc. Think about it a bit more with this further information and cast your vote! :)
Post a Comment