Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall in Mexico

I can't help but think how much I miss my favorite season and time of year, fall. The city I was told is named "The Land of Eternal Spring" is still pushing 90 degrees by late morning or early afternoon and palm trees leaves just don't seem to possess the skill to transform from green to red to orange to yellow to brown. I can't jump in a pile of leaves, eat Aunt Teresa's delectable Pumpkin Surprise or the family's secret Italian Stuffing at Thanksgiving. I won't carve a silly pumpin this fall or visit a pumpkin patch to sip cider on a drizzly day, and I won't see the mists that roll over the freeway from the Snohomish valley that clear away by early afternoon only to return a few short hours later when dark falls at 5pm. I don't get to snuggle into fleece sweats at night, take nature walks to collect leaves, pretend I am still old enough to trick-or-treat, or eat lots of Granny Smith apples dipped in caramel.
However, what I am bestowed the privilege to enjoy is the beautiful creation around me in the land of Mexico. As I sit and type, it is just after 6pm and the sun is still going to shine for another hour before setting in brilliant colors over the hill across the ravine. The palms tree's leaves allow sunlight to twinkle through with the bit of breeze only they can feel. Bougainvillea flowers in bright rainbowed colors cascade over the walls of the school causing one to think that they are not actually made of concrete. I hear Danish students obnoxiously talking nearby and the occasional gardener of the school walks by with a friendly, "Buenas tardes." The various birds and parrots chirp and sing contentedly from their perches. Every so often I hear the lizard hiding somewhere behind me make his silly noise. And...I receive some consolation because I am able to attend a Halloween party tonight thrown by the English department. Since all the English students are Mexican, there will be skeletons, music, ghosts, creepy things in fake coffins, AND tacos. Duh. :)Who knows what will happen at a party celebrating an American holiday in Mexico? I am curious to find out. I dont have a costume so I plan to just put on something other than jeans or shorts and come ready to practice some Espanol.
God continually reminds me that I am here for a reason. I will have plenty of future moments, days, months, and years to enjoy pumpkin bread, caramel apple ciders, crackling fires, changing leaves, and cool fall days, but I only have now to take in, experience, enjoy, and soak up all that He has blessed me with in my life in Mexico. I am happy for this. Plus, I smelled fresh pumpkin earlier as if some sweet soul had been digging out the gooey orange guts to offer the perfect location for carving goodness. Happy Fall!

No comments:


Blog Archive