Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"Wait" & "Hope"

As I was reading my trusty Spanish Bible the other night, I realized something that made me laugh to myself--the words for "wait" and "hope" are virtually the same in the Spanish language. "Espera" means wait and "esperanza" means hope. I find this ironic and yet fitting at this stage in my life. You can read into that all you want, but I think it applies to various areas of daily life and the approaching future. What a simple way to remind me to be patient, but to simultaneously hope in the Lord for what He will bring. I always like the phrases "wait on the Lord" and "hope in the Lord" because they can be used completely interchangeably. All of this talk makes me think of Isaiah 40 and so I need to write it out:

"Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
-Isaiah 40:28-31

Isaiah knew what he was proclaiming. God is Lord over everything. If we just let Him be that to us then everything will be fine.

No comments: