I am utterly intrigued by voices.
Explanation: I see some of the same people at the same classes every weekish for months on end at the gym. I never meet them. I never speak to them. We sweat side-by-side and we don't acknowledge each other except with a rare exclamation at the amount of energy we are exerting or thoughts of possibly passing out. I know who I can follow at the gym as far as choreography goes. I can predict who will mess up or who will get the movements. I know these people. But I clearly totally don't know them either. I used to have lots of gym buddies when I went in Everett, but my change of gym has left gymfriendless. So I have been challenging myself to venture out and shake the hand of those I see regularly. I always guess if they will be friendly or not. I typically incorrectly think they won't be friendly since they have never bothered to say hi to me anyways. However, I haven't said hi either so maybe they think the exact same thing. Or maybe they don't care. Or maybe they don't notice and don't even know who I am. I went to the dentist yesterday and the lady helping me fit my night guard (wahhh, I hate it!) is someone I definitely recognized as Friday night front row Zumba lady. She had no idea who I was though I have seen her once or twice a week for the last year plus. What I definitely couldn't get over was that her voice was so unexpected. I don't know what I thought her voice would sound like, but not like what I heard I guess. I didn't think her name fit or her mannerisms for what I had seen all those weeks at the gym.
I met another woman on Monday night. Same thing. Weird. Her name. Her voice. Not what I expected. Not at all.
Where do we get these presuppositions from? Where does my head assign these ideas? In any case, I am enjoying that I don't have to just memorize their faces from the next row over on the workout floor, but I can know their names, voices, and maybe a little about their lives.
Additional thought: gym locker rooms are full of women who are not shy about exposing their lady parts or nudity as they stroll around, blow dry their hair, sloooowly change clothing or towel off, or sit on a bench and chill doing whatever it is they nakedly do after working out and showering. This will never not be awkward and quite amusing to me. What gets a person to the place that she can be so free and immodest with her birthday suit and only her birthday suit on? Totally chuckling in my head now.
No comments:
Post a Comment