Friday, June 10, 2011

Relax!

My sister sent me an article in the mail (can we say, like mother like daughter...?;) on the art of doing nothing. I loved it! My husband encourages me so wholeheartedly to not be a person directed and motivated by her to-do list constantly. To not be a task master, OCD about completion, or stress/anxiety magnet. Thoroughly agreed to. So, sister sent me the article to reiterate his sentiments on encouraging me to relax. 
I know for sure that I have loosened up quite a bit since meeting my husband, since living with him after our marriage 11 months ago, and in the last few months even. I still embody my personality of efficiency and being conscientious and refuse to let go of those things. However, I am stopping to smell the roses more often, savoring the moments of laze and relaxation, don't have a current running to-do list (er, this week) and haven't much lately, and am remembering those things I love to do besides painting rooms in the house, caulking and re-painting molding, grocery shopping, laundry, and yard work. 
I thought I completely despised painting, but recently discovered that I love watercoloring. Just using the trusty Crayolas set of about 8 colors that I borrowed for the weekend from work. Painting sunsets, lakes, boats, and other things of beauty and peace. Besides thinking about picking up painting, I have played the piano lately, delighted in the pages of Little Women  and other non-self-help and non-non-fictions, sat on our porch steps or the deck soaking up a little sun, lounged on the couch and gazed out the windows at life going by, briefly encountered video games, and enjoyed a nap or two on Friday afternoons for 15-20 minutes. I like it! 
I am reminded of reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau my junior year of high school and being bored by the book, but intrigued by the concept. Our English teacher, one of my favorite and most-inspiring teachers ever, Mr. Verver assigned us to relax. Literally. What a great thing to teach a high school student and a teenager of this age. Slow down. Enjoy life. I remember sitting in a lawn chair in my mom's yard on a sunny spring day. My eyes were closed I could smell the fresh air around me, hear various types of birds chirping and bees buzzing, feel the cool breeze brush the heat off of my face, and taste the sweet sunny rays. It was a sensational experience and that is the part that sticks out most to me because we had to journal about all the details.
The Lord wants us to savor life and love it. He doesn't want us stressed out and checking off our to-do list constantly, although that can be quite satisfying and is necessary as well. He has called us to Sabbath and devote some of our time weekly to practicing the art of doing nothing for Him. For this I am grateful and continue to learn more about how to implement in my own life as I mature and grow up. Thanks, sister and husband for encouraging relaxation. :)

No comments: