Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Redeeming Love

Last night I completed for about the sixth time my favorite book, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I don't know what it is that draws me back to this book repeatedly. There are probably a host of reasons...compelling writing, intriguing plot, strong character development, redemption story, men of integrity, real sinful people, ultimate faithfulness demonstrated by relationship and God, a kaleidescope of word choice, and so much more. I continue to turn the pages with zeal about once a year since I first read it. I started out getting it from the library, then borrowing it from roommates, and finally decided I must purchase my very own copy and I am not a book buyer so that was a big deal for me.

I am appreciative of the quality of Francine Rivers' writing. I have probably read about 15 of her books and have been pleased at the very least and, often, changed by her fiction which is intricately crafted. How refreshing to read Christian fiction that's not cheesy. I mean, please, God is not corny and uninteresting and innocent...why should Christian's be this way. Most Christian writing irritates me because it is fluffy and cliche, but Rivers knows how to be real and blatant without over doing it. She pushes the envelope to greater limits without being inappropriate. She shocks with the genuineness and reality of her works without putting words on the paper you must read that are unacceptable. I wish there were more authors like her that are Christian so I can learn more through one of my favorite pastimes, reading, and not feel like I have to censor my novels as I go as must occur with many non-Christian books due to their smuttiness or overly colorful cussing.

I will recommend this book to almost anyone. Those who I have loaned my copy speak to me in a few days saying they couldn't put it down until the 475 pages were read in their entirety. Here's to one more time reading my favorite book and to understanding how the heroine feels consummately in my own life.

4 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

It's my favorite too... I need to pick it up for another read. :-)

Dulcinator said...

I LOVE this book! You know, Emily called it Christian porn...but we know she loved it too! ;) Hope you are well, Sarah.

Sarah Anne said...

Hahahahaha... that sounds like something Emily would say. So cheeky. ;-)

We're great... seems like things are great for you as well! Loving life?

Emily said...

Just thought I would clear the air and let you both know I did enjoy the book! :) I'm sure I made the Christian porn statement for the sake of those that read it over and over and over again for their own emotional fulfillment....and now I'm blowing smoke! ;)

Just messing with you two! Hope all is well Dulcy!


Blog Archive