Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I am not a fan of eavesdropping, but, let's be honest, sometimes you can't help it. Sometimes you really don't want to hear what people are saying, but you cannot ignore or avoid the words flowing into your ears.

Example: I was lying on a mat last night stretching and doing some foams rolls to ease my tight and over-worked muscles after another enjoyably grueling Step class. My mind was simply pondering random thoughts and people watching those pumping iron and passing by towards the pool and locker rooms. Two young ladies came and sat right next two me, immediately engaging in conversation that seemed to me personal and, well, disturbing. But, since I was two feet away from their chatter I had to either hear the subject of conversation or be obnoxious and obvious and cover my ears. It went something like this:
Girl 1: "Hey, did you hear that (girl's name) is pregnant?"
Girl 2 (with no hesitation by the way): "Is she keeping it?"
Girl 1: "Yeah, I think so."
Girl 2: "Well, (another girl's name) didn't keep it, but now she's pregnant again."
Girl 1: "They told her she couldn't have an abortion cause she smokes like a pack a day. They should let her get rid of it. I mean, I smoke."

I was nauseated and frustrated as I tried to block this out of my thoughts, but, of course, I was simultaneously shocked enough to keep listening. Is abortion really that easy for women to think about and carry out? Yes. Lord, forgive them for they know not what they do. One moment I was not happy to have been forced into eavesdropping. How unpleasant.

No comments:


Blog Archive