Why is it that the things that plague our minds or hearts decide to occupy our thoughts in a difficult way late at night when we really need to be sleeping? I am quite thankful that I have never struggled with sleep...falling asleep, staying asleep, or waking up...other than the typical wanting to stay in bed because I am warm and cozy on a winter day or being a little resentful that I have to awaken at an unacceptably early hour and pushing snooze four times.
However, I know when a situation in my life is really eating away at me or trying to make me listen to it when my sleep is affected in any way. And, I know when God is prompting and prodding me, stirring my heart in abnormal ways. That's when He awakens me in the middle of the night to pray for something or someone. In those circumstances before I even realize I am awake, I am pleading with God. This has occurred a handful of times in my ten years of faith. I do not profess to be a saint who is even close to being familiar with God's voice, but these are the moments I hope for. It indicates to me that my heart is so desperate; pleeing so intently that it's necessary to focus attention on intercession rather than slumbering.
Ephesians 5:14 "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."
Romans 13:11 The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.
Isaiah 50:4 The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(98)
-
▼
February
(14)
- Sitting at Starbucks this afternoon, reading, stud...
- The man at the car wash yesterday called me "amigo...
- Late Night Thinking
- YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE.
- Pensamientos emocianados!
- In My Words
- Comer, Orar, Amor #4
- I have been reading Deuteronomy for a few months n...
- Eat, Pray, Love #3
- More Thoughts from Eat, Pray, Love
- A random note...two of my current favorite Spanish...
- The Instating of Red Shoe Day
- "We are never more discontent with others than we ...
- Thoughts from "Eat, Pray, Love"
-
▼
February
(14)
No comments:
Post a Comment