Tuesday, October 02, 2007

more on home

I continue to recognize a theme in my life that will perhaps echo and reverberate across the walls of my daily moments--home. My roommate, Kassi, commented that there are a lot of songs about going home these days and that all of the good love songs are country because other genres just sing about wanting to get some and break ups (forgive me if I have misquoted, kass). It got me thinking about home again. She said something like, why sing about home? I robustly mused to her with a minimal pause for thought and explained that home is comfortable, cozy, welcoming, filled with familiar faces, warmth, memories, and peacefulness. Why would we not want to be there or, for that matter, sing about it?

One rather melancholy song I frequently am reminded of is sung by Michael Buble called "Home." I think about how sometimes, like in this song, we need to go away, we need to live our dream and not another person's, we need to embrace things outside of and away from home to know ourselves more wholly. Perhaps we know then that we can accept other places as home when they become
comfortable, cozy, welcoming, filled with familiar faces, warmth, memories, and peacefulness; however, we may never find our true, authentic home. I believe that this most real and genuine encounter of home is a concept, a place, a state of being for which we quest after throughout our entire lives, but which we will discover only upon our humble entrance into Christ's arms in Heaven. The closest place we can find to this on Earth is at rest in the presence of the Lord, but when the day of Jesus' return comes, we will find that our ultimate home is revealed.

"Home"
Michael Buble

Another summer day
Has come and gone away
In Paris and Rome
But I wanna go home
Mmmmmmmm

Maybe surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel all alone
I just wanna go home
Oh, I miss you, you know

And I’ve been keeping all the letters that I wrote to you
Each one a line or two
“I’m fine baby, how are you?”
Well I would send them but I know that it’s just not enough
My words were cold and flat
And you deserve more than that

Another aeroplane
Another sunny place
I’m lucky I know
But I wanna go home
Mmmm, I’ve got to go home

Let me go home
I’m just too far from where you are
I wanna come home

And I feel just like I’m living someone else’s life
It’s like I just stepped outside
When everything was going right
And I know just why you could not
Come along with me
'Cause this was not your dream
But you always believed in me

Another winter day has come
And gone away
In even Paris and Rome
And I wanna go home
Let me go home

And I’m surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel all alone
Oh, let me go home
Oh, I miss you, you know

Let me go home
I’ve had my run
Baby, I’m done
I gotta go home
Let me go home
It will all be all right
I’ll be home tonight
I’m coming back home

2 comments:

Ash said...

Well spoken, friend. Home is made of people. A house may remind us of home. A city might do it too. But it's the small memories wrapped up in people that make it home. Mom laughing while me, Tyler, Nick, and Dad act like goofs. Tyler pretending to be America's Next Top Model. Kassi turning on the same radio station every morning. Dulcy coughing. Julie smiling incredibly and ridiculously big.

All the small things wrapped up in the most beautiful people on earth to you.

And that's why our true home is not "heaven," it's with the true and living God, our Father, our Savior, our Comforter.

Anonymous said...

I can certainly resonate with this post these days...well said Dulc! Looking forward to seeing your new place when I get home! P.S. Drop Dead Gorgeous came up today and it made me think of you...oh man...we must watch in December! "I'm so lucky I have an after school job where I can practice my talents"