Today, I lost a friend. She had a cold, wet, black nose that always pushed into my hand looking for a gentle touch. She shed her blond hair every where she went and had the sweetest brown eyes. In her younger days her favorite past times included fetching a stick or tennis ball in the frigid choppy waters of Mukilteo Beach. She became part of the family the evening before Easter almost 16 years ago and went from a chubby little puppy to cheerful young dog to arthritis-ridden old dog. She let us play dress up with her for the costume shows at fairs, tagged along with the kids as we scampered through the yard, jogged alongside us when we went trail running, and took pictures with us on the first day of school from 1st grade to high school beside the little apple tree. She adored chewing sticks to shreds, breathing right by your side as you worked in the yard, and tasting the contents of her stocking at Christmas. She defined the meaning of labrador--loyal, faithful, water-loving, playful, and arthritic.Goodbye, Emmi Merrin.
4 comments:
Oh Dulc, I'm so sorry. I didn't know! How are you doing with it? How is your mom? Oh geez. I'm so sorry.
thanks, tania. i am alright. emmi leaves a big void as she was a part of the family for so long, but being that i personally witnessed her deteriorating health frequently the last couple months, it made sense. she was ready to go. it's weird to think that death is a part of life.
Yeah...wow. I'm sorry Dulc. It's crazy, but even though Emmi was "just a dog," I hate it went people say things like that, because it's so NOT true! Our dogs become so close to us! It can be just as real as losing a person.
I hope you're doing okay, as I'm sure you are. How is Celina doing with it?
Well, love you!
it's strange to realize how such a seemingly small thing can become such a huge part of your life. how memories are conjured by smells of wet dog or simply wishing your dog was around to eat the food that fell on the floor. I'm glad she's no longer in pain. it's hard to see a loved one suffer. you all did the right thing and here's to many, many memories of loving, huggable dogs named Emmi.
Post a Comment